- This page contains pictures and information about Blowflies
in subfamily Luciliinae that we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Member in this subfamily are carrion feeders.
They are either metallic green in colours.
- Australian Sheep Blowfly
- Male Female
- Lucilia cuprina, body length 8mm
- The Blowfly feeds on nectar. It is the major pest species in sheep farming.
Their larvae breed mostly on living sheep and corpse. The fly is one of the
first flies to lay its eggs in a corpse. The fly is green metallic colour,
silvery head and red eyes. Some reference put this species into subfamily Luciliinae.
Please click on here
for more information.
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, p781.
- 2. Insects of Australia and New Zealand - R. J. Tillyard, Angus
& Robertson, Ltd, Sydney, 1926, p375.
- 3. On the Fly, The Interactive Atlas and Key to Australian Fly Families CD Rom - Hamilton, J. et al. 2006. Brisbane : CBIT &
- 4. Northern
Territory Insects, A Comprehensive Guide CD - Graham Brown, 2009.
- Back to Top
[ Up ] [ Calliphorinae ] [ Luciliinae ] [ Chrysomyinae ] [ Rhiniinae ] [ Ameniinae ]