This page contains pictures and information about Ricaniid Planthoppers that we found in the Brisbane area,
This is a small hopper family. All
of them jump, so is their common name planthoppers.
- Passion-vine Hopper
- Scolypopa australis, body length 15mm
- This planthopper is common in Brisbane bush and garden. When disturbed, they jumped away with a
loud 'click' sound, then disappeared in the air. Many of them can be found resting on the same plant during early summer.
They are considered as pest on passion vine. Besides passion vine, they feed on
many other plants as well. More information and pictures can be found in
- Brown Ricaniid Planthopper
- Aprivesa exuta, body length 15mm
- We found it on Black Wattle where we
found the Gelastopsis insignis too.
Those pictures are taken in Karawatha Forest during mid summer. Please also
check this page for more details.
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, pp 479.
- 2. Family Ricaniidae
- Fletcher, M.J. and Larivière, M.-C. (2001 and updates).
Back to Top
[ Up ] [ Delphacidae ] [ Cixiidae ] [ Fulgoridae ] [ Achilidae ] [ Derbidae ] [ Issidae ] [ Flatidae ] [ Eurybrachyidae ] [ Ricaniidae ] [ Lophopidae ] [ Other Hoppers and Unidentified Hoppers ]