Royal Tigertail Dragonfly -
- This page contains information and pictures about Royal Tigertail Dragonflies that we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Male, body length 55mm
- The dragonfly is black in colour with yellow patterns, the typical Tigertail
colours. It has the board central yellow stripe on the front of thorax and
board yellow band on 7th abdominal segment.
- We found this dragonfly in Karawatha Forest around Jan and Feb 2008.
There are the small ponds area known as Frog Hollow. Those ponds were dry or
almost dry in the last four years. It was full in 2008, first time within
five years. We just had large amount of rain during Jan and Feb 2008 in
Brisbane, although we were still in level 5 water restriction.
- We had been there many times for the last few years, but never saw this
dragonfly. This was the first time we saw them there. They are locally
common there in Jan and Feb 2008. We found many of them on Jan 2009 in Daisy
Hill Buhot Creek too.
- Under full sun light, the dragonfly fly in fast to medium speed above
water, hovering above water from time to time, resting on grass
- 1. The Australian Dragonflies - CSIRO, Watson, Theisinger & Abbey,1991,
- 2. A Field Guide to Dragonflies of South East Queensland - Ric
Nattrass, 2006, p72.
- 3. The Complete Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia - CSIRO, GŁnther Theischinger and John Hawking, 2006,
Back to Top
[ Up ] [ Yellow-tipped Tigertail ] [ Royal Tigertail ]