- Austrogomphus (Austroepigomphus) melaleucae
This page contains information and pictures about Twin Spot Hunter Dragonflies that we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia. They
are also known as Melaleuca Hunter Dragonflies.
- Male, body length 45mm
We sometimes find the Twin Spot Hunter Dragonflies in streams particularly in open forest. They are
yellow in colour with black strips. The anal appendages are pale yellow. They look similar to the Pale
Hunter Dragonfly but smaller in size and with more black markings on thorax. Notice the yellow spots
on thorax below each wings. We took those pictures when the dragonflies rested on the plants near the Bulimba
- It is easily to tell a Clubtail dragonfly whether it is a male or female
by just look at its hind wings. Male has the angulated wing base while female
has round wing base. However, this rule may not apply to some other dragonfly
families, that both male and female have round wing base.
1. The Australian Dragonflies - CSIRO, Watson, Theisinger & Abbey,1991,
2. A Field Guide to Dragonflies of South East Queensland - Ric
Nattrass, 2006, p64.
3. The Complete Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia - CSIRO, GŁnther Theischinger and John Hawking, 2006,
Back to Top
[ Up ] [ Pale Hunter ] [ Twin Spot Hunter ]