- This page contains pictures and information about Spur-throated Grasshoppers
in Subtribe Macrotona & Maclystriina that we found in the
Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Handsome Macrotona Grasshopper
- Macrotona mjoebergi, tribe Catantopini, subtribe
Macrotonina, body length
nymph 20mm, adult 30mm
- The Common Macrotona Grasshopper can be found in eucalyptus forest associated
with Spinifex grass Triodia. The above pictures are taken in Alexandra
Hill Conservation Area. near Coolnwynpin Creek. For more information and pictures
about this grasshopper please click on here.
- False Perloccia
- Genus Novum 10, sp.1, body length female 30mm, male 20mm
- This grasshopper has the weird common name False Perloccia. Both adult
males and females are short-winged. The antenna are relatively short. Visit
this page for more information.
- Green-legs Wingless Grasshopper
- ? Genus Novum 10, sp.1, body length female 30mm
- We found this couple on ground next to a large gum tree in Karawatha
Forest during mid summer. They were small and slender. Both male and female
adults had undeveloped wings. Their body was dark brown on the top, pale
brown on each side with creamy lines in between. Their three pairs of legs
were bright green in colour. More pictures and information can be found in
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, p391.
- 2. Grasshopper
Country - the Abundant Orthopteroid Insects of Australia, D Rentz,
UNSW Press, 1996, p179.
- 3. A Guide to Australian Grasshoppers and Locusts - DCF
Rentz, RC Lewis, YN Su and MS Upton, 2003.
Back to top
[ Up ] [ Peakesiina ] [ Apotropina & Perbelliina ] [ Goniaeina ] [ Eumecistina & Coryphistina ] [ Macrotona & Maclystriina ]