Cicadellidae, Subfamily Tartessinae
- This page contains pictures and information about Leafhoppers in tribe Tartessini
that we found in the Brisbane area,
- Tartessin Leafhopper nymph
leafhoppers in this tribe are usually wedge-shaped ranging from 2
to 12mm in body length. They have a distinctly heart-shaped pronotum. They
may be found on leaf on tree trunk on host plants, mostly are
- Those ants around them are for their excretion of 'honey-dew', which
is the excess sugar that the leafhoppers do not need. The presence of ants discourage predators,
this becomes a kind of protection from the ants.
- Yellow Headed Leafhopper
- Brunotartessus fulvus, body length 8mm
- This four Leafhoppers were found on a large leaf near a pond in Wishart.
They just rest, may be feeding, on the leaf. A couple of hours later, we
came back and check the leaf, they were still there. The second picture
shows two nymphs, the picture was taken on late spring where we found adults and nymphs at the same tree. More information in this page.
- Brown Leafhopper
- Alotartessus iambe, body length adult 15mm, nymph 10mm
- This Leafhopper is common on young tree stems in Brisbane Eucalyptus
forest. They are attended by different species of ants. The nymph was found on the same small tree.
We believe they are the same
species, although their body colour were quite different. More information please
visit this page.
- Red-eyed Brown Leafhopper
- Neotartessus flavipes, body length 8mm
- Pictures was taken in Ford Road Conservation Area on Dec 2008. The
leafhopper is dull brown in colour, with white dots on dark brown
veins. Check this page for more
- Purple Leafhopper
- Austrotartessus monteithi, body length 8mm
- We found this leafhopper on Daisy Hills on Dec 2009. Please check this page
for more information.
- 1. Tartessinae
- Australian Biological Resources Study, Department of the Environment and Heritage.
- 2. The
Tartessinae of Australia, New Guinea and some adjacent Islands (Homoptera:
Cicadellidae) - Evans, F. 1981- Pacific Insects.
- 3. Phylogeny and systematics of the leafhopper subfamily Ledrinae (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae) - Jones, J.R. & Deitz, L.L. (2009), Zootaxa 2186: 1-120.
Back to Top
[ Up ] [ Stenocotini ] [ Thymbrini ] [ Tartessini ]