- Spider is the major predator on insects
- Insect's predator are mainly those vertebrates, they include birds, amphibians,
small mammals and flash water fish. Those predators mainly depend on vision
to find the insects. The invertebrate predators are the other insects and
- Besides the predators there are the parasitoids. They are mainly other insects.
Five steps against predators
- 1. Firstly, Not to be Found,
- There are different way to keep away from those predators hunt by vision;
- - hiding in protected area. The
mole crickets are one of the best in hiding.
- - camouflage, disappear from the background. Check
the camouflage page for the details.
- - active at night, actually there are much most insects
active at night than during the day time.
- - strong body shell cover protections, like the beetles,
are considered as a way of hiding.
- The problem is, your mates cannot find you neither.
Insects have evolved many different ways to solve this problem.
- 2. If Found, Shows that you are not the Wanted,
- If you are some danger insects, such as wasps, that will give the
counterattack, or not tasty even toxic, like the Lycid Beetles, you better
tell the predators before they attack you. This is why most danger and
not-tasty insects (and other animals) have the bright body colour. This is a
kind of warning signals. However, some insects which is not danger nor toxic
also have the warning colours. We have more discussion on this in the
mimicry page.Besides warning colours, there are some other ways to show the predators
that you are not what they want, such as threaten sign and mimic something
else, or even play dead. Please check this in our
- 3. If Wanted, look for Protection, Escape
- The most effective way to avoid predation is escape
before captured. Insects have development many different ways to escape, run, jump, fly,
drop, retreat back to nest, etc..
- 4. If Can't Escape, Counterattack,
- Some insects will display the frighten patterns, making
noise etc., to detour predators and increase chance of escape.
- 5. If Get Caught, Minimize the Loss
- Some insects, such as the stick insects and grasshoppers,
will break their leg to escape from the predators.
Two Australian Emeralds on Spider web
Dragonflies and Damselflies have very good eyesight so in general they can
avoid the spider web. However, we saw two Australian Emeralds get caught in
spiders web, like the about pictures, a couple of times. We can imagine
that this was because a Australian Emerald intruder came into the territory of
another Australian Emerald, both fought with each other and forgot to watch out
for the dangers. Both end up in the spider web.
Grasshopper is one of the common insect that we can
easily find in bush or in garden. What make the grasshoppers so popular?
- Grasshoppers sometimes regarded as pest in our garden. Their number is
large. Different species of grasshopper are easily found.
- Grasshoppers are common because they eat most kinds of plants. Not many
insect species feed on all kinds of plants. Different plants have evolved
different kinds of resistance to avoid being eaten by insects, such as
taste, toxic, plants structure etc. So most of the plants eating insects
feed on special kind of plants only. However, grasshoppers eat most kinds of
plants. They have strong chewing mouthparts. They feed on almost all kind of
plants in our garden and in natural habitat. They following our corps and
plants, they come to our garden and our farm. This is sure one of the major
factors for their success.
- Beside, grasshoppers have some other fitness factors. They fly, although
not a very good flier. They have good eye sight, although not as good
as dragonfly, flies, bee or butterfly, still goo enough to fly and to avoid
predators. They do camouflage, although not as good as stick insect, but
they have not given up the wings function, legs walking functions and good
- Grasshopper's hind legs are their icon and this is also the major factor
of their survival fitness. Their skill of jumping to escape form predators
is very effective. The spiny and strange kick by their legs make some
predators keep away from them.
[ Up ] [ Insects as Prey ] [ Insects as Predators ] [ Insects and Plants ] [ Escape strategy ] [ Caterpillar Escape ] [ Mole Cricket Song ] [ Cow Pea Aphids ] [ Feigning Death Behaviour ] [ Eucalyptus Leaf Beetle ] [ Insects Migration ] [ Attended by Ants ]