- This page contains information and pictures about Darkling Beetles
that we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Beetles in this family are medium in size. They are usually black or brown in
colour. Some are dark blue or green with metallic reflection. They are highly variable
in shape and with concealed antennal insertions. Their antenna are medium length,
stout, either moniliform (antenna in which the antennomeres are about as long as wide and more or less
bead-like) or incrassate (antenna in which the antennomeres gradually increase in width towards the apex
). Their legs are relatively long.
- Adults feed on variety of decaying materials of plants, lichens or fungal. Many occur under rocks and in leaf
- ? sp.
- Larvae live in rotten woods, in soil or scavenging on ground at night. .
- Beetles in this subfamily at least have one tarsal (leg) segment thicken.
The tip antennal segment is often widen.
- Beetles in this subfamily are dark colours with metallic reflections. There
are nine striae on elytra (longitudinal lines on wing-cover).
- Beetles in this subfamily have elongated narrow body. They have long and
slender legs with combed tarsi.
- 1. TENEBRIONIDAE - Australian Biological Resources Study, Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, 2007.
- 2. Dictionary of Entomological Terms - Insects of Townsville, Australia by Graeme Cocks.
- 3. A guide to the Genera of Beetles of South Australia Part.5 -
Matthews, E.G. 1987, p.6.
Territory Insects, A Comprehensive Guide CD - Graham Brown, 2009.
- 5. A Guide to the Beetles of Australia - George Hangay and Paul Zborowski, CSIRO PUBLISHING April
- 6. Classification, relationships and distribution of the genera of Cyphaleini (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) - Matthews, E.G. 1992, Invertebrate Taxonomy 6: 437-522.
- 7. Classification, phylogeny and biogeography of the genera of Adeliini (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae)
- Matthews, E.G. 1998, Invertebrate taxonomy, 12: 685-824.
- 8. Classification, relationships and distribution of the genera of Heleini (Coleoptera : Tenebrionidae) - E.G. Matthews, 1993, Invertebrate Taxonomy 7(5) 1025 - 1095.
[ Up ] [ Pintail Beetles ] [ Wedge-shaped Beetles ] [ Darkling Beetles ] [ False Blister Beetles ] [ Blister Beetles ] [ Others ]