Pie-dish Beetle -
Pterohelaeus sp. (P. walkeri, P. cornutus or P.
- This page contains information and pictures about Pie-dish Beetles
that we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Body length 20mm
- This beetle was found walking on ground in our front yard during the day on
March 2008. We took it inside our house and took some photos. We kept it for a
day and let it back to our front yard.
- We found this beetle a few time on
ground in different
gardens and parks around Brisbane. There were all found wandering on
ground. We found that it is the Pterohelaeus sp., could be
the P. walkeri, P. cornutus or P. piceus, most likely the
- 1. Beetles - family Tenebrionidae - lifeunseen.com, by Nick Monaghan,
- 2. Beetles
of Australia - Trevor J Hawkeswood, Angus & Robertson
Publishers, 1987, plate 125.
- 3. Pterohelaeus piceus - Morwell National Park Online, 2006.
- 4. Pterohelaeus Brême, 1842 - Australian Biological Resources Study, Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, 2007.
- 5. A guide to the Genera of Beetles of South Australia Part.5 -
Matthews, E.G. 1987, plate 87.
Territory Insects, A Comprehensive Guide CD - Graham Brown, 2009.
- 7. A Guide to the Beetles of Australia - George Hangay and Paul Zborowski, CSIRO PUBLISHING April
- 8. Classification, relationships and distribution of the genera of Heleini (Coleoptera : Tenebrionidae) - E.G. Matthews, 1993, Invertebrate Taxonomy 7(5) 1025 - 1095.
- 9. Terrestrial
Invertebrate Status Review (Brisbane City) - Dr John Stanisic,
Queensland Museum, 2005, page 72, fig35j.
[ Up ] [ Chalcopterus Beetle II ] [ Chalcopterus Beetle III ] [ Pie-dish Beetle ] [ Dark Vader Beetle ] [ White-edged Darkling Beetle ] [ Blue Darkling Beetle ]