- This page contains pictures and information about Broad Headed Bugs in
family Alydidae that we found in
the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Eggs of Alydidae
- Alydids have large broad triangular head, nearly as wide as the thorax. They
are usually brown in colour. Their bodies are relatively slender. They have long
4-segmented antenna and long legs. Some of them feed on fallen pods from
Acacia trees and pods of other trees. Most species with their nymphs mimic
- Pod-Sucking Bug, Brown Bean Bug
- Riptortus serripes, subfamily Alydinae, tribe Alydini, instars
10-20mm, adult body length 25mm
- This Pod-Sucking Bug is brown in colour with yellow lines along body and
has strong spiny hind legs. Its
body is slim and narrower in the middle, with a sharp spine on each side of
the thorax. Young instars mimic ants. We have detail information in this page.
- Small Brown Bean Bug
- Photo: Keith Power, Toowoomba
- Melanacanthus scutellaris, subfamily Alydinae, tribe Alydini, body length
- The Small Brown Bean Bugs have the elongated body and brown in colour.
They have spiny hind legs. Males have a pale patch in the scutellum. As the Riptortus sp.
they also have the spins on shoulder but much smaller. Please
check this page for more information.
- Paddy Bug, Rice Bug
- Leptocorisa acuta, subfamily Micrelytrinae, tribe Leptocorisini,
body length 15mm
found a few of this bugs along Bulimba Creek in Brisbane during summer season. The
bugs are pale yellow-brown in colour, with long slender body. They feed on
grass, and are pest of rice. More information and pictures please click on here.
- Colourful Board-headed Bug
- Noliphus erythrocephalus, subfamily Micrelytrinae,
tribe Leptocorisini, body length 20mm
- This bugs was found in Yugarapul Park during early summer. The bug has
yellow and pink colours on abdomen with black bars on both sides. Its legs are
green in colour. There are spins on its thorax.
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, pp 504.
- 2. Alydidae, Bean bugs, Broad-headed bugs - Discover Life, 2008.
- 3. Family ALYDIDAE - Australian Faunal Directory, Australian Biological Resources Study.
- Back to top
- [ Up ] [ Family Coreidae ] [ Family Alydidae ] [ Family Rhopalidae ]