Family Lygaeidae, Lygaeinae
This page contains pictures and information about Small Milkweed Bugs in Genus
we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- Milkweed Bug nymph feeding on seed pod
- We commonly call the bugs in this genus Arocatus as Small Milkweed Bugs.
They are small to medium in size and can be found on Milkweeds Asclepias
sp.. Usually they were found in large number on host plants. Adults and nymphs of
different instars stages were found on the same plant. We often found more
than one species mixed feeding together.
- Orange Small Milkweed Bug
- Arocatus montanus, body length 10mm
- This bug is orange-grey in colour. We found this bug once on 2005 in Yugarapul
check this page for more information.
- Brown Small Milkweed Bug
- Arocatus continctus, body length 7mm
- This Small Milkweed Bug has the orange-brown head and with pattern on
thorax. Please check this page for more
- Black Small Milkweed Bug
- Arocatus aenescens, body length 7mm
- This is the smallest among the five Small Milkweed Bug species we found. The bug
has the uniform dark brown colour, except on head the parts near eyes are
orange colour. Please click on here for
- Common Small Milkweed Bug, Swan Plant Seed Bug
- Arocatus rusticus, body length 9mm
- The Common Small Milkweed Bug adults have the elongated parallel sided body and orange-red with
dull black colours.
Head is large and triangular. Their
antennae and legs are black in colour. They have relatively large eyes on
distinct stalks. The thorax is half orange and half dull black. The bugs run quickly along stems and leaves of host plants.
More information and pictures
can be found here.
- Cross Small Milkweed Bug 2
- ? Arocatus chiasmus, body length 9mm
- This species is very similar to the above species.
- This species is very similar to the Arocatus
rusticus. We put a question-mark on the ID of this species
because the reference information tell that the A. chiasmus was not
found in Brisbane. Anyway, we found them only once. Please check this page
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, pp 499.
- 2. LYGAEIDAE
Australian Biological Resources Study, Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts,
- 3. A taxonomic revision of the Lygaeinae of Australia (Heteroptera: Lygaeidae) - Slater, A., University of Kansas science bulletin, v. 52(8,i.e.9) p. 301-481, 1985.
Back to top
[ Up ] [ Genus Arocatus ] [ Genus Scopiastes ] [ Genus Graptostethus and Spilostethus ] [ Genus Oncopeltus ]